To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, October 1, 2010

We're all being punk'd

Cori and I met when I was just starting college. She's 12 years older than I am. And, when we met, her youngest son, Bricen was 4.

Cori now lives in Hawaii, where she grew up, which works for both of us. If she lived in Kentucky, I might NEVER visit her. And, I am beyond thrilled that our latest Hawaiian adventures are about to happen for a week in November.

Is it November yet?

Bricen promised me when he was 4 that he would NEVER grow-up. Well, he lied, of course. And, now he's 18... sweet mercy, where did the time go?!?

Now the liar lives in California, right down the street from me. And, I couldn't be more stoked about it. We play, and it's fun.

Bricen just got his first job and he recently had a conversation with his mom, which she retold to me. I found it perfectly apt in describing how I feel lately. It went a little something like this...

Cori: Bri, how is the new job going?
Bricen: Well, it sucks I hate it.
Cori: Why?
Bricen: I just don't like it. I feel like I am being punk'd.
Cori: Welcome to life son, we're all being punk'd.

I have an amazingly wonderful life. I am blessed beyond measure. But, I sure could have done without 2010. Each and every day I hope I am getting punk'd. But, I am not. This entire year was one I could have done without. I sure wish trials and tragedies would space themselves out a bit. I am exhausted.

If it's not November yet, I don't suppose I get any repreive from 2011 yet either... oh well.

No comments: