To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, February 18, 2011

Boyz in the Hood

WARNING: I am attempting to type this blog post with VERY little sleep. I am having one of those weeks where even though I am communicating with people within very close proximity to me, there is quite a time delay in my response during the communications (like unto an international time delay). It's awkward. I used to feign interest in very mundane or inticately detailed conversations in which I had no desire to have. I would nod and add questions and smile politely. Not anymore. Lately, I have been known to say aloud "I am bored" in the middle of one of these such conversations. Today, I was talking to a coworker and I almost fell asleep. I am quite certain that if I keep this up I won't have many friends for long. But, if I retain any, they will most likely be dudes. Because dudes behave very similarly much of the time.










This weekend I had a mainly dude weekend. I totally felt like one of the boys. I listened to ridiculous music that was meant to be comical, but was mostly just dumb and crude. I played a game where we ranked girls entirely on their looks. I peed in the desert. I shot a real live gun (and did not kill anyone or anything). I gawked at scantily clad women dancing in cages and on platforms, I heard WAY to much about covered wagons and other bodily functions. And, I ate A LOT of meat.



I went to Vegas to celebrate the 30th birthdays of some of my good guy friends. I got VERY little sleep. (Add the trip to my current sleep schedule which requires me to wake up at 4:30 AM every morning in order to coach the OVHS Swim Team's morning practices and you see why I am falling asleep standing up these days). But, it was well worth the lack of sleep. We had a lot of fun. (Although, I am REALLY excited to be one of the girls again).





No comments: