To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday, February 7, 2011

Solidarity

Today I am a little bit nutty. I mean, I feel like one of those crazy girls that guys are afraid of. But, just today (mainly).

I am blaming it on the nominal amount of sleep I have been getting. Last night was kind of a late night, and I am coaching again for the Ocean View High School swim team. So, I have to BE to practice at 5:30 (in the AM)... Yikes. So... today I am just going to go with lack of sleep as the primary catalyst for my behavior, because I am having a chick-batty kind of day.

1. I ate 5 skinny cow ice cream treats (so what if they only have 100 calories). I ate 5! And, it's only 1 PM. I think in this scenario, I should just drop the skinny and call 'em cows, or call myself one. 5! It's kind of an accomplishment, really. I didn't ACTUALLY swim this morning, in fact the most movement I had was pacing the length of the pool to show my kids how to breast stroke, when all they want to do is bounce from one end to the other and see if I won't bark at them for touching the bottom. But, still I worked up such an appetite, I had to have 5!!! skinny cows. (Ok, moving on, I promise).

2. I want to strangle ALMOST everyone I have talked to today. It's just one of those days. I feel like I should wear a sign to warn people. And, by people I mean the guys in my office, who before today thought I was normal (well, maybe not normal, but at least pretty even tempered and pleasant).

3. In the past 24 hours I have been more fickle than I can ever remember being. I am all over the place. Whoever I liked last week, I detest this week. And, whoever I just swore I couldn't stand, I am totally enamored of today.

And, of course all of these crazy thoughts I share with my co-worker Jackie, who has asked me to change her name to protect her identity/innocence. So, I am calling her Brenda for the rest of this post (wink, wink). Brenda has the unfortunate responsibility of working with me daily. She's awesome.

First, she doesn't tell me I am a nut job. Ever. Never, ever. And, she probably should.

Second, she doesn't really think it's that weird that I had 5 treats before lunch. Last week when I ate slightly fewer treats (but, still more than a person should), we had this conversation:

Brenda: How do you not get fat?
Ali: Well, tonight I will go home, run about 8 miles and not have dinner. But, if I don't, I get fat.
Brenda: Oh, well that makes sense. I usually just go home, eat, and then sit on the couch like a fat bear.

And to make matters worse, I hear that we are having cake today. And, you know how I feel about cake! So, Jackie, I mean Brenda and I can't stop talking about the alleged cake.

Ali: I am so lazy, I couldn't even get up to ask Catherine what happened to the cake. So, I just called her and said 'I just want to make sure I didn't miss the cake.'
Brenda: They are keeping it hostage next door. I am about to give them the finger and buy our own cake!

Third, she's totally on board with whatever I say about the people in my life and my assessments of them and their behaviors. If I was her, I would tell me that I am acting like a psycho. Nope, not Jackie. She thinks I am totally rational... always. I could call the sky purple and she's swear to anyone with a gun pointed to her head that the sky was purple. Love that girl! So today we had this conversation (no joke)...

Ali: Jackie errr Brenda, you are so supportive. I LOVE it. I could come into work and tell you I was going to marry the unibomber and you'd be on board.
Brenda: Well, Ted is educated. And, green (speaking environmentally of course, except for that whole explosion fiasco). Plus, I hear he has a great family! Ali Kaczynski, sounds good, right?

Fourth, she has such high standards and hopes for me. Seriously, she does. It's awesome. And, I am sure to let her down. Trust me.

The other day I was at Henry's Market with Marie. And, for some reason I have to get a drink and drink it while I am grocery shopping. And, since Henry's is a health food store, I had to drink water (bleh). So, when I went to pay, the water was almost gone. And, the cashier/bagger starting chatting about how I could buy a full one (chuckle, chuckle). I explained that I liked to drink while at the store. He carried on about how people feel the same way at a bar. And, he didn't drink beer, he was a wine guy.... yada yada yada... and 5 minutes later he is writing on my receipt where he goes to taste wine. And, he tells me he'll be there on Friday and Saturday. And, he asks if I will meet him there. And, then he writes on my receipt that if I show up I can find "art, music, wine and love". It was hilarious. And, if I didn't already have plans for the weekend... well... no, nevermind, it was NEVER going to happen. So anyway, I tell Jackie.... err, Brenda. And, then I walk by and she's talking about this to Catherine (the Receptionist).

Brenda: ... and then he writes on her receipt...
Catherine: Well, did she meet up with him?
Brenda: No way, Ali DOES NOT date guys who wear name tags! Are you kidding!?!

(Please note, I have NEVER even thought about whether or not I am pro- or anti- name tag dating).

No comments: