To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Running...

The other day my cute cute roommate Kate and I were chatting, and somehow this story came flying out.

When I was a teenager, occasionally some dude would call my house (way back when we used house phones) and ask to speak to me.  Of course, in true me fashion, I never wanted to speak to any of them (for various reasons, one being I HATE talking on the phone).  So, I would tell me mom to tell said boy that I had just run outside for a minute or that I had hopped in the shower.  I guess she didn't want me to think it was ok to lie or something, because she'd always say "then you better go in the shower and start hopping" or "then you better get outside and start running."  And, literally she would MAKE me hop up and down while standing in a shower or run my little tail outside for a minute (this was while we lived in Arizona - and it was BLOODY hot!) before she would pass on whatever statement I fancied that day to whatever dude I was trying to avoid. 

That's just how we did things in our family.  We would just sort of skirt around stuff. So, that's how I learned to do what I wanted with my integrity still intact?!?  And, I have been pulling similar shennanigans ever since.  Shady right?!?

But, when I think about it, that's when I really started to enjoy running. Figures!  What a hot mess I am!

No comments: