To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Blindsided!

Doh!

I've worked at the same place for 5 years now... a record for me. And, anyone who knows me knows why! My job, while demanding, is also VERY RAD!

Basically, I have this place figured out. Joe gives out money like he's Daddy Warbucks (and we love him for that!), Jonathan gives out grief like it's going out of style, Clint and Teo give out very high maintenance requests... I mean I have everything here down. There are very few surprises.

So, usually I know who to buy Christmas stuff for at my office, Joe, Ricardo and the girls. Every year that's what I do. It's been fine every year.

I have to admit, I can't take it if I get a gift from someone and I didn't expect it and don't have one in return! It makes me feel guilty. (Shocking, seeing as I NEVER feel guilty about anything... oh wait...) I'd always rather over-give than under-give. So, I am about to leave to Texas in a hour. And, out of no where J. Flo comes in and gives me $100 to the spa! And, then Chris comes in with this pound cake that he made from scratch! Out of no where! I have to bake something in return! But, I don't have time! And, I don't know how to bake! I feel blindsided! Chris just left the gift in my office and is gone for the day, so we're OK there. But, J. Flo... HE HANDED IT TO ME! So this is what transpired next.

J.Flo: Merry Christmas, I owe you big. You do a lot for me!
Ali: What? Wait, no! I don't really. Take this back!
J. Flo: No, it's for you!
Ali: You can't do that! You pulled that out of nowhere. We don't exchange gifts.
J. Flo: Well, it's ok, you do a lot for me.
Ali: Take it back!
J. Flo: What am I going to do at a spa? You deserve it.
Ali: No, not really. As I shuffle in my purse. Here, have this then, Owen gave me a Starbucks card and I don't even drink coffee.
J. Flo: Lauging hysterically.... still!

Neurotic Much!!!

No comments: