To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday, October 9, 2009

What the...??? Who the...??? How the...???

Seriously?!?

I mean, really?!?

Did Barack Obama really just win the Nobel Peace Prize?!?

For what?!?

Oh, I am sorry... here it is "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between the peoples."

What?!? What does that even mean?!?

He was only in office for 11 days prior to the deadline submission for the Nobel Peace Prize. Anyone remember him doing anything extraordinary?!? I swear all he did was pick out a dog for his kids that first 11 days!

Poor Nelson Mandela, and Mother Teresa, and Kofi Annan, and Henry Kissinger and Mikhail Gorbachev and Martin Luther King, Jr. and... If I were one of them, I might return the Nobel Peace Prize back to those nutty Norwegians.

It seems as if the award comes without accomplishment or validity these days.

My friend Rob Colson said it best "at least when they gave it to Al Gore he had singlehandedly stopped Global Warming by inventing the Internet."

Ha ha ha... I guess the Nobel Peace Prize has been devoid of any real accomplishment for a while now.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Amen sister. Jonny and I laughed our heads off at your friend Rob's comment.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the fun box Ali! You are the bestest aunt ever! I am wearing my flower to school every single day! And I'll keep doing it too! You are the best aunt ever and I love you.

Love, Chloe

Ali B. said...

Chloe Beth - you sure are welcome. I can hardly wait to see you! Only 2 more months until Christmas. Will you go get your nails done with me again?