To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

New York... New York...

Start spreading the news, I'm leaving today, I want to be a part of it - new york, new york! These vagabond shoes, are longing to stray right through the very heart of it - new york, new york! I wanna wake up in a city, that doesn’t sleep and find I’m king of the hill - top of the heap. These little town blues, are melting away. Ill make a brand new start of it - in old new york. If I can make it there, Ill make it anywhere Its up to you - new york, new york... (in my head is Frank Sinatra's voice - which is WAY better than anything I can pull off... believe me!) By the way... how cheesy are the actually lyrics to that song??? This is why whenever I DO sing, I choose to make up my own lyrics. Anyway, moving on...

Oh my goodness... does it take FOREVER to get to NYC or what??? Well, it took me FOREVER. But, I got there. And, when I did it was SO blasted cold. It seems like it should have snowed... I mean it was 49 degrees! For the love of everything good and holy, I had a wool scarf, mittens, a beannie and (of course) my white wool peacoat (the cute one with the black buttons). People were looking at me funny the moment I stepped off the plane, CLEARLY no one else was prepared for snow. While I waited for the snow, it started pouring rain... turns out it has to be below 32 degrees to snow - who knew???



I met up with my sisters, which made this trip to NYC fabulous. Jennica had stolen Adam's umbrella. Kimmy loaned hers to my dad a few weeks ago. He allegedly lost it, but somehow blamed it on my mom, who as it turns out was not even in the country when the "alleged" loss occurred... whatever. And, I... well, I thought it was cold enough to snow... why would I pack an umbrella??? So, Kimmy and I had to purchase umbrellas from this toothless, yet business savvy entrepreneur who was peddling them near Grand Central Station - on the corner of 42nd and Park (or somewhere thereabouts). She pulled the bait and switch on us. She announced loudly that she was selling umbrellas for $3! $3 - what a steal, how could you go wrong with a $3 umbrella??? I already looked like a drowned rat, so I just bought one, for the same reason I wear a bra - less out of necessity and more our of the need to fit in! But, Kimmy, she needed one. She was wearing silk... animal printed silk, so cute, and SO not water friendly. (What??? We are Brinkerhoff's, it's what we do - wear really impractical clothes just for the sake of looking cute - or at least attempting to). Anyway, by the time I traversed the distance between me and the "entrepreneur", all of about 6 feet, the price had gone up to $5. I told the lady that I just wanted the $3 dollar umbrella (I mean, no one could see me, I had on a thermal and a wool sweater and THE cute white peacoat - the one with the black buttons. I looked larger than life. I was already drowning in a sea of clothes strategically picked out by me to buffer me from the snow... uh... I mean rain storm. She said she only had $5 dollar ones. Whatever, I bought it. Kimmy opted for the larger $10 one. As soon as we made our purchases and turned around to go about our business we heard the "entrepreneur" shout again 'umbrellas $3.' We all turned around and scowled at her, she smiled back (sans teeth). Each and every time Kimmy opened hers one of the... ummm... spokes??? (what would you call those) broke off, once even puncturing a whole in the umbrella... she was so cursing my dad's name. She was also jeopardizing the life of all those on the streets - when the entrepreneur said $10 for a large umbrella... she did mean LARGE! Kimmy nearly decapitated anyone over the height of 5'10. Me on the other hand. I had to hold my $5 ($3) umbrella by the base to keep it from flipping inside out. I only used it once... then I gave up!

Basically, we ate, and we shopped, and we ate again, and we shopped some more. We went to Blooms for breakfast, NY manis and pedis, shopping in Soho, and to Lombardi's Pizza... we treaded all over Manhattan and while we did a miracle happened... I purchased nothing!!! I know... I am serious about this shopping sabbatical!

There are many fabulous stores in NYC, but also lots of nutty ones. There were TONS of Halloween costumes on display. We were discussing how Halloween is just an excuse for people to dress up as a slutty... whatever they prefer. Kimmy said something that made me laugh all weekend. "Ok, the slutty nurse thing... well, I kind of get that. But, the slutty bee??? Is there some bee fantasy I am not aware of???" I made her pose...

We went to Serendipity to get frozen hot chocolate. There was a one hour wait. Within the first 5 minutes, Jennica (who is 7 months prego with her 3rd kid), sits down because she can't stand any longer. After which I announced to all the NY on-lookers that we were not forcing this ultra-pregnant sister of ours to wait for an hour and that SHE was the one who wanted to go in so badly! But, it was good... really good.

After just enough of the city, we headed to Grand Central to catch the train that traversed to Milford Connecticut so we could visit Adam and Julie and the kids, we were all dying to meet Sadie ... oh those kids... I am not sure there are any more fabulous than my nieces and nephews, and Julie and Adam's kids are no exception.


And, Connecticut is beautiful... there were many discussions about changing "the hub" (which is currently in Texas, for most of the Brinkerhoff clan). We think Connecticut has a fighting chance. It was breath-taking, especially since its autumn. I miss having seasons (even if they occasionally involve snow... eeek).

How cute is Jake in a tie?



It was so good to see all of them. Julie is the nicest of all the Brinkerhoff's (of course, we had to import for that) and we love her. She was as sweet as ever. And Adam - well, he's still Adam! Julie took us to this darling and delicious restaurant called the Rainbow Garden that was converted from an old estate into this great restaurant. On Sunday, we went to church, took a walk along the beach, made (and ate WAY too many) sugar cookies and then... my favorite part... the trying on of the costumes... oh the costumes... this is what I love most about Halloween.

Izzy - the Tiger. She is obsessed with Tigers its so cute, she's so NOT scary! In fact, she says rad 90-year-old phrases when she drops things, (i.e. "oh heavens" and "goodness gracious").

Haley - cheerleader in training.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The munchkins are sure cute. I am going to copy Izzy and use 90 year old women lines. "good heavens" I was a little disappointed you didn't purchase anything.

Brian said...

Fantastic post.

Anonymous said...

Jealous!!! Sounds like a great trip. I want to go and do all the things you did...and I don't even know those kids and sisters. They seem nice enough and I WAS a cheerleader in high school. This is actually a brilliant plan because I actually have moves to teach the upcoming generation of short skirt wearers.