Ok, so I had such grand ambitions of posting my whole house, room-by-room, day-by-day in a week or so... but, I can't... I regret to admit it's not done yet. My progression is halted! I still need to paint the bench that goes in the front yard. (By the way, does anyone want to build me a swing?!?) I am waiting on some towels to come in from Pottery Barn for my bathroom. We are not getting our couch until March (yikes! - It's a good thing Wendy and I are not big T.V. watchers). The office still needs to have the entertainment piece painted and put together. I guess Wendy and I could post our bedrooms, but we'd have to clean them... which hasn’t been happening lately.
But, mainly for me this is where I am halted as far as my bedroom and the office is that I have ZERO nic-nac type items?!? What is wrong with me?!? (This is rhetorical, DO NOT feel the need to post your ideas about this question)! I mean, I am a girl, I am supposed to have dozens of decorative accessories, even boxes of them that I bought, but can not put out because I have too many. Nope! Not I. I think I am missing some girly gene that requires me to feel compelled to buy these items. I mean, when I moved I had to buy dishes, I didn't have ANY. (My old roommate, Cori, has 5 SETS!) What girl doesn't own dishes? And, do you want to know what kind I bought - white ones, plain ole', no pattern, no frills, white dishes! Just this weekend Robin and I were at the mall and we went into Crate and Barrel. Robin was in paradise, I think I started itching. There were so many plates and vases and… I had to escape to Banana Republic, where I could do some REAL damage.
Which leads me to this thought… with the exception of my vast wardrobe and my penchant for collecting make-up (yea, I don't know why I do that either), I am not all together that girly! I've been thinking about it a lot lately and I think I am missing some very important feminine genes. Here are 5 reasons why:
1. I work in a Construction Firm… around ALL men (and I kind of fit in, I can totally hold my own). My mind is pretty permanently in the gutter. Every joke I know is pervy! I own a hard hat and a safety vest... I mean, if I wanted to be one of the Village People for Halloween, I already have a costume! Not too feminine.
2. I am dead inside. I hardly ever cry. I am so unemotional. Seriously! I feel like Cameron Diaz in 'The Holiday' or Zach Braff in 'Garden State'... I mean I am supposed to cry when my car won't start or I see a bug or when things don’t go my way or SOMETHING... but, I don't. I hardly ever cry. I just go running (how very masculine of me), which is an odd female reaction. But, it's mine. And, I own it.
3. I don't pick up on hints very easily. When people are mad at me, I never can look at them and hang out with them and know. I just assume they are having a bad day and carry on with my life, as per usual. It seems presumptuous that I would have any effect on someone's day-to-day life, right? And when guys like me... I usually have no idea until they verbally say "I like you." (I could provide a list of references for this claim, but I won't). That not picking up on not-so-subtle hints - that's a male trait right?
4. I don't think ALL babies are cute. I am sorry, but I don't. A lot of them look sort of raisin-esque to me. I mean, I'd venture to say I only think about 30% of all babies are REALLY cute. (Don't get me wrong, I LOVE kids... and my future kids will definitely fall within the 30% - because they'll be mine, just as ALL my neices and nephews fall within this minority, because their also mine - AND because they ARE all cute...) but, most of the time, I just lie and say babies are cute because it's easier! I KNOW isn't that HORRIBLE?
5. I don't have any decorative home accessories! - What the...
But in my own defense, I am rather verbose, I tend to mother everyone and everything in sight (to a fault, I've been told), I ask a TON of questions, I am really good at multi-tasking and I am rather affectionate - these are girly traits right? Plus, I do LOVE to shop for clothes and shoes, so I hoping my excessive collection of jeans makes up for the lack of feminine genes I seem to have missed somewhere along the way.
P.S. I WILL eventually post every room in my house, it just might take a while. Stay tuned.